Sunday, September 12, 2010

Disposable world

Ok this is going to be a quick one so please forgive any misspellings.

Why has this become such a "disposable world"? At what point did we become so wealthy that we could just throw things away because we are too lazy to drive them over a church, thrift store or Goodwill? I mean really. Friday night on my way home from dinner we passed a house with BAGS and I mean BAGS of things they were just throwing away. There was at least 6 garbage bags full of clothing not to mention boxes of Tupperware and other things too. I stopped and grabbed some bags that were not damaged (or soiled yet by a neighborhood dog) and brought them home. I washed about 3 full loads of clothes. The bags contained dozens of outfits for babies, toddlers and even adults. Clothes with tons of wear left in them. I can't believe that someone would just toss them like that. Besides the fact that they will rot in a landfill somewhere, do you stop to think about how other people can benefit from the clothing? So needless to say after running them through the wash they will eventually be donated to my church to pass on to people in need.

So I challenge you, the next time your are moving, or spring cleaning or whatever the case may be, to find another home for your things, other than a trash can. There are so many places these days that will accept and welcome your donated items. If you have furniture and other non-clothing items, Habitat for Humanity's "ReStore" in Bunnell will take them with open arms. Clothing and other items can be donated to the Humane Society thrift store and Goodwill and thats only to name a few places. Almost any church will accept these items too, especially clothing to pass on to people in need. One thing that I do is just keep a box in my office and as I come across things I no longer use or need I put it in the box. When the box gets full it goes in to my car and gets dropped off somewhere. Another thing I do too is bring my old clothing to work and give them to friends who are close to my size. A lot of times after a few uses I decide that I am not crazy about the way some thing fits or looks on me, so I throw it in a bag and bring it in to work. My friends are always thankful and I always ask them that if they can't use them or don't want them just to please make sure they go to Goodwill or something of the sort.

No comments: