Saturday, June 19, 2010

The benefits of garlic. Its good for more than just cooking!

Since my daughter started going to daycare about a year ago I have been blessed (not so much) with numerous colds. This is something I have always struggled with anyway since someone can walk into a room sick and I am almost definitely going to get it. I recently read about the health benefits of garlic and not long after that I got another cold. I decided to give it a shot and was pleasantly surprised."The Doctors Book of Food Remedies" by prevention magazine says "Garlic has been used throughout history for treating virtually every type of infection. Now there is increasing evidence that it can help protect against colds and the flu as well." It also goes on to say that to get the benefits of it you have to eat a lot of it. So everything I ate was covered in garlic and within a day or two I started to feel better. Before you knew it my cold was gone. My husband couldn't sleep in the same room as me (kidding) but my cold was gone.

I am one of those people who always gets worse. Very rarely do I get a cold and just get better on my own. A cold always seems to progress into an upper respiratory infection for me so to get better on my own was a breath of fresh (garlicky) air! Next time your sick, give it a shot. Remember you need lots of it.

No comments: